Photography tour north ThailandHighlights
Get 'up close and personal' to the best photo opportunities in northern Thailand, from incandescent sunsets over the mountains and colourful hill tribe portraits.Description
Join us on a photographic journey through the hills of northern Thailand, and enjoy capturing some of the best scenes in Thailand through your lens. Our local guides can take you to some of the best locales, and open up photo opportunities with locals in a respectful way. Whether you are a professional, amateur or just-for-fun photographer, if you have a special interest in photography we can customise a trip for you.
Photography tour north Thailand
- From Chiang Mai we’ll head north to Phayao Lake, a vast and serene freshwater lake. Surrounded by tree lined streets and old teak wood houses of this charming lakeside town has a very local feel - well off the tourist trail, you’re unlikely to see any foreign tourists here. We’ll visit a Buddhist temple by the lake, then have time to capture the natural beauty of the lake and even the occasional fisherman casting his net. Sunset shots at Phayao Lake, before dinner at one of the lakeside restaurants to try local fish. O/n in Phayao, local guesthouse.
- After breakfast, we will explore local life by the lake, and visit nearby villages to see local handicrafts such as reed weaving. Then we depart Phayao to see the White Temple, a popular attraction due to its unique and modern-art style architecture; then a visit to the Black House a construction by the same architect. Our last destination for the day is Chiang Saen, a traditional town by the Mekong river, sunset pics by the Mekong. O/n Chiang Saen, local guesthouse
- Sunrise pictures by the Mekong river. Then onto enjoy the historical beauty of Chiang Saen, such as the orange-brick ruins of the ancient walls and temples of this former ancient capital. Onto the famous Golden Triangle, where we’ll visit the best viewpoint overlooking the confluence of the Mekong river, and the meeting point of 3 countries; Thailand, Laos, Myanmar. Then a brief visit to Wat Tham Pla (Fish and monkey cave) before a drive through the rolling hills up to Mae Salong. A quaint Chinese village, where Mandarin Chinese is widely spoken here and many signs are in Chinese. Most of the inhabitants here are descendents of the Kuomintang party that fled communist rule in China. Nowadays, it’s famous for its Oolong tea production and idyllic terraced tea plantations. O/n in Mae Salong at a local guesthouse or descend to stay at a Karen Hilltribe homestay.
- Enjoy sunrise pictures from Mae Salong or Thaton temple. Visit to Ban Lorcha Akha hilltribe Community based tourism village, one of our favourite villages, unlike commercialised hilltribe villages, Ban Lorcha is owned and run by its own community members where profits from entrance fees goes back to the village. A chance to capture traditional village scenes and colourful traditional Akha costume. After this we will visit an authentic Karen hill tribe village, learn about the Karen culture and way of life. Then we will head to Doi Angkhang mountain (approx. 2hrs drive), enjoy the landscapes as we drive up and through this sweeping mountain range that borders Myanmar. A cluster of peaks and valleys this is home to colourful minorities such as the Palong and Lahu hill tribe. O/n Doi Angkhang, local guesthouse
- After breakfast we’ll visit an outlook point overlooking the mountain range that forms the Thai-Burma border. Then we’ll visit traditional Palong and Lahu hill tribe villages, the villagers here still live in triditional bamboo stilt houses and hold belief in the spirits. We’ll descend Doi Angkhang and head onto Pai (apporx 3hrs drive ). Sunset shots at the impressive Pai Canyon and Memorial bridge. O/n Pai, local guesthouse
- Depart Pai for Mae Hong Son, enjoy the beautiful landscapes on one of the most mountainous and scenic routes in Thailand (apporx 2hrs drive). We’ll stop at the best viewpoints for pics along the way. Visit to a traditional Lahu hill tribe village, then onto Ban Rak Thai (Mae Aw) Chinese village by the Thai-Burma border, (approx. 1hr drive). This traditional village is another outpost of the Kuomintang party from China, characterized by its rustic mud hut tea shops around a serene lake – Try traditional Yunnanese cuisine for dinner – o/n Ban Rak Thai, at local guesthouse
- Enjoy sunrise pics as the early morning mist drifts upon the lake, before heading to Ban Ruam Thai- a Shan village given the nickname ‘Switzerland of Thailand ‘ because of the European style climate and geology. Then we’ll visit to Pang Ung Lake, where the misty lake surrounded by towering pine trees and occasional elegant swan passing by, forms a picture-postcard scene. Visit to Pha Sua waterfall and then to Su Tong Pae bridge. This is the longest bamboo bridge in Thailand, picturesquely set amongst sprawling rice paddy fields and a backdrop of limestone mountains – another photographic beauty. Onto Mae Hong Son town to visit Jong Kham Temple a traditional and ornate Shan style temple, located in the center of town beside Jong Kham Lake. Then we will head to a Kayan Long neck hill tribe village, nearby the Thai-Burma border. To reach the village we will take a long tail boat - enjoy the tropical scenery and nature, along the banks of the river - arrival at the village, – o/n Long neck hill tribe homestay.
- After traditional breakfast the homestay, we will learn about the fascinating culture and way of life of the Kayan long neck hill tribe women. We will explore the village, for example, visit to the village school, and see the women weaving. We will have time to capture village scenes and the beautifaul long neck women in a natural setting – depart the village and onto Mae Chaem. O/n Mae Chaem, local gueshtouse
- After breakfast we will visit Doi Inthanon National Park. The summit of Doi Inthanon mountain is the highest point in Thailand. The variety of bird species, makes it a popular spot for birdwatchers. We'll take a short walk on the Angkha nature trail, a great place for nature shots. Then we'll depart Doi Inthanon - on the descent we will visit the mighty Wachiratharn waterfall, another photogenic natural beauty. We'll finish the tour in Chiang Mai, and drop off at your hotel.
If you are interested in in this tour please fill out the form below Please remember to check your spam folder. If you do not receive a reply within 48hrs please send an email direct to email@example.com.