8d/7n North Thailand Loop Tour
The ultimate northern Thailand Experience. Authentic cultural discovery through Chiang Mai - Chiang Rai - Mae Hong Son provinces. The most comprehensive way to see northern Thailand
Combines our 5d/4n Mae Hong Son Loop tour and 4d/3n Chiang Rai tour. We will travel through the heart of rural northern Thailand, seeing the best views and landscapes in the region, exploring local culture and life along the way. We will see a wide variety of hill tribe groups (Karen, Akha, Hmong, Lisu etc.), visit authentic villages, and learn about their fascinating way of life. Get up close and personal to the Real Northern Thailand.
8d/7n North Thailand Loop Tour
- Pick up from your hotel in Chiang Mai, then we'll depart for Chiang Rai, stop off at hot springs and to see aspects of local life along the way. Visit the famous White Temple, different from other temples in Thailand, popular for its unique and modern architecture
- Onto the Golden Triangle, stop for pictures at the best viewpoint which overlooks the confluence of the Mekong river, forming the meeting point of Thailand, Laos and Myanmar
- Optional) Boat trip across the Mekong river to visit a local tourist market on the Laos side
- O/n at a local guesthouse in Chiang Saen Day 2) Chiang Saen – Mae Salong – Thaton - Karen Village
- Depart Chiang Saen, to visit a Fish & Monkey Cave (Wat Tham Pla), watch the wild monkeys climbing the limestone cave and swinging from the trees
- Enjoy the scenic drive through the hills up to Mae Salong Chinese village, characterised by its terraced tea plantations, rustic locale, little shops selling Chinese teas and wares. The inhabitants here are mainly Chinese descendents who migrated from southern China hundreds of years ago.
- We will descend Mae Salong, and head down to Thaton. On the way we will visit an Akha Hilltribe village. This community based tourism project is one of our favourites, because its owned and run by the villagers, and profits from entrance fees goes back into the village. An educational experience where a local Akha guide will demonstrate aspects of Akha life such as hunting, dancing, weaving, and traditional houses
- Visit an authentic Karen Hilltribe village. Enjoy a traditional Karen meal together, and the chance to learn about Karen cooking and cuisine. O/n at Karen Hilltribe Homestay in a village (optional) or at a local guesthouse Day 3) Karen Way of Life – Doi Angkhang
- Learn about Karen hill tribe culture and village life, optional short trek to farm, learn about local nature and farming. Other activities may include visit to school, farming, weaving (seasonal dependent)
- Onto Doi Angkhang (approx 2hrs drive). Enjoy the scenery as we drive up and through this sweeping mountain range that borders Myanmar. A cluster of peaks and valleys this is home to colourful minorities such as the Palong and Lahu hill tribe. O/n Doi Angkhang, local guesthouse
- Enjoy the enjoy the idyllic location, views, cool climate and fresh mountain air. O/n in Doi Angkhang at a local guesthouse
- Visit authentic Lahu and Palong hill tribe villages. These remote and misty villages still keep to the traditional way of life, living in bamboo stilt huts and wearing traditional costume. Learn about their fascinating culture and way of life in these remote and rural highlands
- Visit an outlook point on the mountain ridge, which overlooks the Thailand/Myanmar border. Enjoy the views as we descend Doi Angkhang
- Optional activities) Visit the elephants, bamboo rafting, Tiger Kingdom, or other activities upon request
- Drive to Pai (approx 3hrs drive). Enjoy the night market on Pai's main walking street. O/n at local guesthouse in Pai.
- Enjoy the scenic mountain drive and lofty landscape views, as we travel from Pai to Mae Hong Son. This route, is famous for its curves, and mountain scenery (approx 2hrs drive)
- We will stop for pictures at viewpoints, and for aspects of local life along the way, such as roadside markets
- Visit a Lisu hilltribe village
- Enjoy a local dinner and the evening market by Jong Kham lake. O/n at local guesthouse in Mae Hon Son town
- Visit a Shan (ethnic minority) village and learn about how the locals produce sesame with the help of buffaloes
- Optional visit to a Kayan Long neck village, nearby the Thai-Burma border. To reach the village we will take a long tail boat - enjoy the tropical scenery and nature, along the banks of the river. Chance to learn about the fascinating culture and way of life of the Kayan Long Neck hill tribe women. We will explore the village, for example, visit to the village school, and see the women weaving.
- Depart Mae Hong Son for Mae la noi (2hrs drive). Stop off at a viewpoint and enjoy fresh local coffee
- Enjoy the scenic drive to Karen & Lawa hill tribe villages nestled in mountains (1,200m above sea level)
- Upon arrival at the top, you will be warmly welcomed by your homestay family. Enjoy cooking and eating a traditional meal together
- O/n in the village at a hilltribe homestay (optional) or at a local guesthouse
- Walk around the villages, as your guide explains to you about the hilltribe way of life. Because we follow the natural rhythms of village life, sights and activities may vary. However you may see women weaving cotton, pounding rice, the village silversmith and village school
- Visit a mountain temple, with a chance to learn about Buddhism and the lives of Buddhist monks and nuns. Enjoy the view overlooking the mountain and villages
- Enjoy last moments in the villages before heading down the mountains
- O/n at a local guesthouse in Mae Sariang town
- We will head back to Chiang Mai (approx 4hrs drive), enjoying the last of the mountain scenery. Optional visit to Doi Inthanon Mountain & National Park or other optional activities in Chiang Mai can be made upon request
- End of tour in Chiang Mai
- This tour starts+ends in Chiang Mai. We can pick up+drop off at your hotel /airport/ train station in Chiang Mai
- Accommodation is at local guesthouses with 1 overnight in a village at a hilltribe homestay (optional)
- The itinerary is an outline only. The details of each day are not fixed, this allows for greater opportunity to explore local life along the way - This tour can be customised, please contact us to discuss Extensions
- This tour can be extended to 8+ days. For families with young children, spreading this itinerary over 8+ days enables travel at a more family friendly pace.
If you are interested in this tour, please fill out the form below. Please remember to check your spam folder. If you do not receive a reply within 48hrs please send an email direct to: firstname.lastname@example.org.