4d/3n Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai TourHighlights
Travel from Chiang Mai to non-tourist parts of Chiang Rai, Scenery of the Thai/Myanmar border, Doi Angkhang mountain, Authentic Hilltribe villages, Local cuisine, Karen Hilltribe homestay (optional)Description
This tour combines the mainstream Chiang Rai tourist sights such as the Golden Triangle and White temple, but we also get off the tourist trail to explore more authentic parts of this rural province. Journeying along the Thai/Myanmar mountain border (Doi Angkhang), we will see a variety of hilltribes (Palong,Lahu,Lisu,Akha,Hmong), experience their hospitality, and learn about their culture and way of life
4d/3n Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai
- Pick up from Chiang Mai and depart for Chiang Rai (approx 3hrs). On the way, we will stop to visit aspects of local life that arise along the way, such as roadside markets and hot springs
- Visit the White Temple (Wat Rong Khun) famous for its unique architecture, and Black House.
- O/n at local guesthouse in Chiang Saen nearby Mekong river
- Visit the Golden Triangle where the Mekong River converges to form the meeting point of 3 countries; Thailand, Laos and Myanmar. Visit a good viewpoint for pictures.
- Optional) Longtail boat trip on the Mekong river to visit a local market in Laos
- Visit to Monkey cave, then drive up to Mae Salong Chinese village, a village nestled in the mountains famous for its idyllic looking tea plantations, here we will learn about tea production and sample local tea.
- Visit an Akha hilltribe village 'Ban Lorcha'. This community based tourism project is one of our favourites, unlike commercialised hilltribe villages, Ban Lorcha is owned and run by its own community members where profits from entrance fees goes back to the village. An educational experience where a local Akha guide will demonstrate aspects of Akha life such as hunting, dancing, weaving, and traditional houses
- O/n at Karen hilltribe homestay in a village (optional) or local guesthouse. Enjoy a traditional Karen meal together with your host family
- After breakfast at the homestay, learn about Karen culture and life in the village
- Optional short trek to the family farm, learn about farming in a beautiful rural setting
- Optional visit to Thaton hilltop temple for sweeping Landscape views of Thaton valley
- Onto Doi Angkhang (approx 2hrs). Enjoy the landscapes as we drive up and through this sweeping mountain range that borders Myanmar. A cluster of peaks and valleys this is home to colourful minorities
- Enjoy the idyllic location, views, cool climate and fresh mountain air. O/n at local guesthouse in Doi Angkhang
- Visit authentic Lahu and Palong Hilltribe villages, where they still live in traditional bamboo stilt houses. Learn about their fascinating culture and way of life.
- Visit an outlook point which overlooks the Thailand/Myanmar border
- Optional visit to King's Agricultural centre
- Descend Doi Angkhang and head back to Chiang Mai (approx 2hrs)
- On the way optional activities (if timer permits); bamboo rafting, Tiger Kingdom, Handicrafts and other activities upon request
- Drop off at hotel/ airport or other point of request in Chiang Mai
- Cooking at our homestay
- Visit a school
- Short trek
"Thailand Hill tribe visit" (Wil & Tim, Australia) "Adventure of a Lifetime" (Paige L, USA)
Click on the image to enlarge
Please remember to check your spam folder. If you do not receive a reply within 48hrs please send an email direct to: email@example.com