Some of our tours include an overnight in a village with a hilltribe family in their traditional stilt houses. Our homestay offers you a taste of hilltribe life, whilst encouraging cultural exchange and learning between you and your host family
Accommodation is basic but your homestay family will do their best to make you feel at home. There is running electricity, no running hot water, and simple bedding. Mealtimes will be home cooked food shared with the family, a typical hill tribe meal consists of lots of rice, green leafy vegetables, flavoured with wild herbs and chillies
If you would like to spend the daytime in the villages but need more comfort at night, alternative accommodation is available
In the villages you may find yourself
- Walking through farmland, picking herbs and learning about local ecology with your guide
- Learning how hilltribes farm and live off the land
- At the village school
- Weaving cotton
- Learning to make silver jewellery with the village silversmith
- If you're lucky you may catch a village celebration such as a spirit festival or wedding
- Walking through farmland picking herbs and learning about local ecology with your guide
An overnight at our homestay will give you a taste of hilltribe life, but to get the most out of the experience we invite you to stay a few days or more. This will let you delve deeper and forge connections with your host family, from which the most memorable experiences are created. Be prepared to come as a guest and leave as a family friend.
We have various homestays, with different hill tribes, in different areas.
*** NEW !! *** You can now stay overnight at a Kayan Long Neck homestay, in a village nearby the Thai/Myanmar border. A
For more information please Contact us
Before your visit download our Hilltribe Homestay Handbook