Highlights - Cultural Immersion in Hilltribe villages, Hilltribe homestay, Local food, mountain scenery of Mae Hong Son,
This 5d/4n tour of Mae Hong Son Province will allow you to explore the beauty of one of the most traditional and authentic places left in Thailand. Taking you throug Mae Sariang, Mae Hong Son and Pai across beautiful mountain landscapes that form the most mountainous and forested province in Thailand. You will be immersed in the local way of life of the hill tribes and Thais, and experience the Shan and Burmese influence on this part of the country
Day 1) Depart Chiang Mai for Mae Sariang
- Pick up from Chiang Mai and depart for Doi Inthanon Mountain the highest point in Thailand 2,565m above sea level (approx 1hr drive). Doi Inthanon Mountain and National Park is famous for its pristine nature and species of flora and fauna. Visit a waterfall on the way up, at the summit take a leisurely walk through the nature trails home to 300 different species of birds.
- Continue on the less travelled route to Mae Sariang a small and authentic northern Thai town (approx 3hrs drive). Arrive in the evening and check into local hotel/guesthouse
Day 2) Lawa & Karen Hilltribe Villages
- Depart Mae Sariang for a cultural and authentic tour of Lawa and Karen hilltribe villages (1hr) nestled in the mountains of Mae La Noi district 1,200m above sea level . The drive up is very scenic with beautiful mountain vistas along the way
- Arrive at the first Lawa hilltribe village, meet and greet your homestay family. Your guide will take you to meet local villagers going about their day to day lives in the village. Visit the local village school, sit in on lessons, play with the kids. After that visit the village silversmith family where they can demonstrate how traditional techniques and tools are used to make hilltribe silver jewellery. At the end you have the chance to purchase some of his handmade products *
- Drive to a neighbouring Lawa hilltribe village, visit the King’s Royal Agricultural Development Centre where they teach farmers organic farming methods. This is also the centre for the village’s women’s weaving cooperative where you will have the chance to purchase handwoven hilltribe cotton bags and scarves from the cooperative
- Then onto visit a traditional Karen hilltribe village. Walk around the village and learn about how the Karen hilltribe live, their customs, culture and costume
- Visit the mountain temple where Pat’s mum is head nun. It's unique locations offers sweeping panoramic views of the mountains below. From the temple rooftop catch the evening sunset over the mountains. You will have the chance to learn about Buddhism and meditation
- Head back to join your homestay family and enjoy cooking an evening meal together. Evening is free and easy, relax and get to know your homestay family
- Overnight at the homestay, or at alternative nearby lodging
*Optional activity: Learn how to make your own silver ring from the village silversmith and get to keep the ring that you make. This workshop takes a couple of hours and you pay the silversmith directly 1,000bt.
Day 3) In and around Mae Hong Son
- Enjoy breakfast and last moments with your homestay family and the village, before heading onto Mae Hong Son via Khun Yuam (approx 3hrs drive)
- Arrive at Mae Hong Son town visit Wat Doi Kong Mu, a famous hilltop temple offering a wonderful view of Mae Hong Son encased by mountains.
- Optional - visit neighbouring ‘Mae Aw’ a Chinese village on the border of Thailand and Myanmar (1hr drive), famous for its traditional earth houses and tea cultivation, here you can try various types of Chinese tea and Chinese Yunnanese cuisine
- Overnight at Mae Hong Son town or continue on to Mae Aw Chinese village for overnight stay *
* Overnight stay in Mae Hong Son town or Mae Aw Chinese village will depend on season
Day 4) Mae Hong Son to Pai
- Optional - early start at 6am to visit the local morning market, where you will also have the chance to offer alms to monks on their daily alms procession through town
- Visit a traditional Shan village just outside Mae Hong Son town. Learn about how the locals still use buffaloes and traditional methods to produce sesame, if you are lucky you may have the chance to ride bareback on a buffalo
- Depart Mae Hong Son for Soppong (approx 2hrs) this drive is considered the most scenic in the north, these winding mountain roads will reward you with beautiful landscape views and plenty of photo opportunities
- On the way optional stop offs at Phu Klon Country Club (Thai massage, face and body treatment in their natural mud spa), and Lod Cave where you can take a bamboo raft through this limestone cave to see the remarkable formations
- Onto Pai (45mins), dinner then free and easy time to discover the night markets and nightlife of Pai. Overnight in local hotel
Day 5) Pai to Chiang Mai
- After breakfast, there will be time to see more of Pai town and visit natural hot springs, before we head back to Chiang Mai (2hrs drive) enjoying the last of this scenic ride
....... If you are interested in this 5d/4n Mae Hong Son Loop tour or would like us to customise it for your please contact us ........